Friday, December 10, 2010

I’m Going to….. January 12, 2010

By kristen
Two years ago something amazing happened that changed my life.
I was brand new to the blog world and discovered a community of bloggers, like Rocks in My Dryer and Boo Mama. They were both talking about going to Africa with Compassion International and blogging their trip.
It was during that week on their amazing journey, that we welcomed our first Compassion child, Bereket from Ehthiopia, into our hearts. I’ll never forget explaining the work of Compassion to my children over dinner, showing them his picture.
We set out to help him. In doing so, he’s helped us. We see the needs of others more clearly now because of that boy.
We chose Ethiopia because we knew my twin sister and her family would be bringing home a new daughter from there. She’s home and, oh my, has my heart grown for the continent of her birth. I think of her sisters, left behind, working as slaves and worse, every day. I whisper prayers over them.
And then, I discovered Kisses from Katie in Uganda. I shared my heavy, heart-burden for the unbelievable life of sacrifice this young woman leads. You helped me carry the burden and together we bought $3,200 in chickens and blankets in just 24 hours.
Just this past Christmas, under the tree, was a package with our new sponsored child, Judith from Uganda, where Katie lives. She’s ten, like my daughter and they have already written to each other.
And today, just two hours ago, I sat with my kids as they lovingly and longingly chose a third child to sponsor.
Her name is Makena, she’s 6 and she’s from Kenya. (She was chosen because a little red heart marked her Compassion picture which signified that she has been waiting for a sponsor for at least six months. My son, “Mom, no child should wait that long.”)
My heart has grown.
And now, my life is going to change forever.
It’s surreal, that two years after discovering the blog world and sponsoring our first Compassion child, and even more recently, falling in love with a strange land I’ve only seen in pictures, that I’m going….
Many details, papers, arrangements need to be made, but one thing is heavy on my heart as I type this…I need to ask, will you pray for me?

No comments: