Friday, December 10, 2010

My Upside Down World . . . .February 8, 2010

By kristen 
Before bed the other night, we were reading a chapter of Do Hard Things to our 10 and 7 year old. (I’ll be sharing more about this book in the months to come). I was encouraging my kids to do hard things and shared this story with them:
I was a nerd in high school.
Not the classic geek with taped glasses and a pocket protector, but a misfit, nonetheless.
I was a Christian, carried my Bible most days and even wore a rhinestone pin on my clothes that spelled the name Jesus.
And that combination pretty much clinched me a spot at a lunch table on the other side of the room from the popular kids. I also had very few dates.
I didn’t feel sorry for myself though. Actually, most days I was proud to be different.
I was on the school newspaper and developed a love for graphic design (this was in the early 90′s). I had a dream of making a Christian t-shirt to wear to school. I came up with a design after school hours on the computer. My idea: an upside down world that said, “I want to turn the world upside down for Jesus.”
I wanted to do something hard.
My daughter couldn’t believe I never had that shirt made. It just wasn’t an easy thing back then. I wasn’t sure she’d gotten the point of my story.
I hadn’t thought about that young girl in a long time. I went to bed feeling discouraged that I couldn’t even get caught up on laundry or get my toddler to eat her dinner, much less change the world.
Well, something amazing happened this past week:
I got my shirt!!
My unbelievable hubby created it online and surprised me with it.
Y’all, I cried when I read the front:
(it says “I want to turn the world upside down for Jesus.”
-Kristen, Age 14
and I sobbed when I read the back:
(We are THAT family. com Kenya March 4-10)
I haven’t even gone to Africa yet and my life is being turned upside down.
It’s a new, uncomfortable place –
That feels right.
What is your childhood dream? Are you living it?
And how about that hubby of mine???

No comments: