Friday, December 10, 2010

WFMW: Letter Writing Tips . . . . March 17, 2010

By kristen 
One of the most unexpected and amazing parts of my trip to Africa was learning just how important a sponsor letter is to a child.
Every Compassion child I met had reread the letters from their sponsors until they were nearly memorized. The letters were prized-possessions.
If you’re a new sponsor, you will receive a packet with a little bit of information about your child, like the one I received right before I left for Africa:
(Ephantus in Kenya)
While in Kenya, I met a boy named Anthony, a recent graduate of the Leadership Development Program (LDP), who had been a sponsored child for more than 20 years:
Anthony is a young business owner whose smile could light up a room. He was joyful and kind, articulate and thankful to Compassion and his sponsor. But he had one regret: in all the years of rising out of poverty, he never received one letter from his sponsor. He said every Saturday he would long for his name to be called, so he could learn more about the family who had changed his life.
It never happened.
Anthony was still overcome with gratitude for his sponsor. “I prayed for him everyday,” he said in a quiet voice. “I still do.”
If you sponsor a child, I cannot urge you enough to start a relationship with them. It won’t just change their life, it will change yours.

1 comment:

Michelle ~ Blogging from the Boonies said...

I love your blog! What a great post! :D Feel free to check out my Compassion inspired blog where I try to share lots of tips for letter writing and ideas for neat items to send Compassion kids! God bless!